So I went to the dyno expecting some decent numbers. It was a Mustang dyno that I’ve actually been on with other cars. Nicknamed “The Heartbreaker”, this dyno gives more humble numbers than the brag-force-one Dynojet.
First pull – 14.5psi netted me 344whp. I wanted at least 375. Steve Kan – a local tuning guru who was running the dyno day – turned to me and told me it’s running scary lean. Over 13:1 AFR. I told him to turn the boost down on the Blitz SBC-id a couple of clicks and do a second pull. He did, still around 14psi and over 13:1 AFR.
So we backed it off the dyno and I drove it home off boost as much as possible.
With proper fueling that graph would have been much smoother, and north of 375whp.
I don’t know how long it’s been running that lean but I have no reason to believe it’s a recent issue. The ECU is a Tomei-chipped unit that came from Tomei with the cams. I believe the car’s been running on this setup for a couple years.
Regardless, the car is going into the shop in about a week for a bunch of work – including a 1000cc injectors, Tomei turbos, a Haltech stand-alone and ample dyno tuning. So this problem will be solved soon. In the meantime, I just get to look forward to a completely different beast making much higher numbers in a few weeks’ time.
Video of the first run:
No…the fact that the car pooped out the dyno’s WBO2 sensor is not reason for the lean AFR reading.